V/A Wake Up You! Vol 2: The Rise & Fall of Nigerian Rock 1972-77 Hardcover Book + CD
The Western world was in the throes of peace, love and flower power as Nigeria descended into Civil War in 1967. The rock scene that developed during the following three years of bloodshed and destruction would come to heal the country, help propagate the world-wide ideal of the Modern Nigerian, and propel Fela Kuti to stardom after the conflict ended in 1970. Wake Up You! tells the story of this time, pays homage to these now-forgotten musicians and their struggle, and brings to light the funk and psychedelic fury they created as they wrested free of the ravages of the late 1960s and created thrilling, original Nigerian rock music throughout the 1970s. This is the first of two volumes full of never-seen photos and detailed liner notes by Nigerian musicologist and researcher Uchenna Ikonne (Who Is William Onyeabor?).
96 pages, Hardcover
5 3/4" x 8 3/4"
52 Illustrations, ISBN: 978-1-58423-644-3
Includes a cd with all tracks fully licensed from the bands themselves.
1. Come Back 4:07 Theodore Nemy
2. Slipping Into Darkness 4:37 The Funkees
3. I Want A Break Thru 3:08 The Hykkers
4. In The Jungle (Vocal) 3:20 The Hygrades
5. Babalawo 3:25 Shadow Abraham with Monomono Friends
6. Wake Up You 4:02 Waves
7. Shower Of Stone 3:40 War-Head Constriction
8. Love 5.01 Question Mark
9. Set Me Free 4.01 Action 13
10. Baby Rock 5:23 Jay U Experience
11. Flying Bird 3:31 The Doves
12. Awa Lani Arawa 3:53 Kukumbas
13. Life Will Move 5:10 The Believers
14. The Feelings 4:40 Tony Grey & the Black 7
15. Life In Cannan 3:10 Ceejebs
16. Who Made the World 4:32 The Identicals
This compilation produced by Eothen Alapatt and Uchenna Ikonne.
Liner notes by Uchenna Ikonne, edited by Eothen Alapatt.
Restoration and remastering by Dave Cooley for Elysian Masters, Los Angeles.
Art direction by Errol Richardson for Busy Monster, Toronto, Canada.
Cover photography by Gilles Caron.