V/A Wake Up You! Vol 1: The Rise & Fall of Nigerian Rock 1972-77 Hardcover Book + CD
The Western world was in the throes of peace, love and flower power as Nigeria descended into Civil War in 1967. The rock scene that developed during the following three years of bloodshed and destruction would come to heal the country, help propagate the world-wide ideal of the Modern Nigerian, and propel Fela Kuti to stardom after the conflict ended in 1970. Wake Up You! tells the story of this time, pays homage to these now-forgotten musicians and their struggle, and brings to light the funk and psychedelic fury they created as they wrested free of the ravages of the late 1960s and created thrilling, original Nigerian rock music throughout the 1970s. This is the first of two volumes full of never-seen photos and detailed liner notes by Nigerian musicologist and researcher Uchenna Ikonne (Who Is William Onyeabor?).
106 pages, Hardcover
5 3/4" x 8 3/4"
50 Illustrations, ISBN: 978-1-58423-629-0
Includes a cd with all tracks fully licensed from the bands themselves.
01. Never Never Let Me Down - Formulars Dance Band
02. Keep On Moving - Hygrades
03. Everybody Likes Something Good - Ify Jerry Krusade
04. In The Jungle (Instrumental) - Hygrades
05. Onye Ije - Strangers
06. Stone The Flower - Hykkers
07. Baby I Need You - Funkees
08. Mother - Waves
09. Beautiful Daddy - Ofo The Black Company
10. Graceful Bird - War-head Constriction
11. Ije Udo - Magnificent Zenians
12. Never Too Late - Apostles
13. Groove The Funk - Aktion
14. Ballad of a Sad Young Woman - Wrinkar Experience
15. I Can’t Be Satisfied - Founders 15
16. Float - Tirogo
17. Scram Out - Question Mark
18. Tell Me - P.R.O.